Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sirc's layout style

I am trying to decide how Sirc's layout makes the text/message appeal to me.  I think that I am not seeing the why of the layout as much as I am questioning the why?  Is it effective if I am only wondering why it is formatted/arranged in such a fashion?  On page 113, is that the staircase from Duchamp's Nude Descending..?


113 -- "'I considered painting as a means of expression, Marcel said in an interview, 'not an end in itself [...P]ainting should not be exclusively retinal or visual; it should have to do with the gray matter, with our urge for understanding.' (135-136).

I must address this as I love it.  Too often we read a text, whatever the purpose may be, but only satisfy ourselves with what is on the page.  I hope that I can bring this concept to my studets as we explore both reading and writing.  If we see only as far as the actual text on an actual page/screen, we shortchange the composer, the writer....

No comments:

Post a Comment